Feb 28, 2014

And I kept painting!









While not in class studying drawing and design, I kept working on my painting.  I decided I really like painting buildings, so I did a bunch of them.  I also took a wonderful workshop with John Poon early in the year and then began a Painting I class at the community college with Erin Whitman.  In that class we worked in acrylics (a whole different experience) and focused on color study and layering.  It was eye-opening to see how the layering of transparent paints could produce the depth that I got in the acrylics.  While I enjoyed the colors, I wasn’t in love with acrylics, but didn’t see how I could apply the techniques to alla prima oil painting.  Strange, how one thing tends to lead to another.  Nancy Medina’s flower painting workshop at the end of the year tied it all together.  She sets her palate by breaking out the transparent paints from the opaque and did all the initial painting in transparents.  Whee!  A whole new approach – and one that I could play with layering.  Here are a few examples of 2013 paintings.  I’ll have my website populated in another week, will post the link here once it is ready for viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment