Sep 30, 2014

Art as a Business




Over the past year I have been slowly working my way towards sharing my work with the world. I’m pretty ambitious regarding my goals for the year. I’ve caught this blog up to present, and have put the “skeleton” of my marketing plan in place (next blog).

My ultimate goal is to be represented by a number of brick and mortar as well as online galleries.  I want to be regularly selling paintings in the Daily Paintworks site as well as my regular website within the next 90 days, and to be in two galleries within a year. 

A year ago I attended a workshop hosted by Jason Horejs of Xanadu Gallery.  His advice on work ethics, consistency, pricing and how to approach a gallery were wonderful and are covered in his book, Starving to Successful.  That and Alyson Stansfield’s I’d rather be in the studio!  have given me a blueprint that I am working through for my marketing plan.

As far as the business training is concerned, I will be coached by Leslie Saeta  on marketing, and am following Jason Horejs Mentoring program.

In addition to marketing, I will continue creating inventory and exposing my work to the world.  I will be following a daily painting regime and working on my drawing skills.

I joined the Daily Paintworks and just finished my first ever “daily painting challenge.”  While I missed the last 4 days (I’m also building a house and had to travel to Galveston to meet with contractors, bankers, etc), I’ve found myself getting cranky if I can’t at least do something during the day!  I plan to do a number of topical series (the first is 30 dogs) and will put brush to canvas every day – even if I don’t finish a piece.  On those days that I don’t produce a new painting, I will feature one of the ones I’ve done in the past year.

My drawing skills are my Achilles heel (or at least I think they are).  I have enrolled in the Watts Atelier online course so I can continue working on my figure drawing skills.  Stan Prokopenko’s online tutorials are also wonderful for figure drawing.  And the Sketching from Square One book by Richard Scott is also proving to be very helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment